Each year the Melplash Agricultural Society offers grants to local students aged 17 years and over who are planning to pursue courses in subjects connected to agriculture. Students of agriculture, forestry, horticulture or any closely allied topic who live within a 12 mile radius of Melplash could be eligible for a bursary up to £1500 per annum.
We were delighted to award the 2017 bursary to twelve local students. Bursary applications for 2018 are now open. The Bursary Scheme was established over ten years ago to benefit West Dorset based students who wish to further their education in the field of agriculture, horticultural and related subject areas. Students who live within a 12 mile radius of the village of Melplash can apply for funding to help achieve their educational goals. Successful applicants will receive up to £1500 per annum to help with their studies.
In 2017 we were pleased to continue supporting the following students: Georgia Pagett, David Persey, Sam Norman, Eliot Jones and Emily Julier.
. The following new candidates received awards;
- Lexie Jefford – studying Advanced Technical Extended Diploma in Animal Management Level 3 at Kingston Maurward.
- Isobel Farquarson – Going to Aberystwyth University to do a Foundation Degree in Agriculture.
- Hannah Bowden – Studying Extended Diploma Level 3 in Agriculture at Hartpury College.
- Georgia Down – studying Foundation degree in Agriculture at Harper Adams University.
- Lindsey Johnson – going to Harper Adams University to study Agriculture with Farm Business Management.
- George Layton – studying a Foundation degree in Countryside Management at Harper Adams University.
- Robert Honeybun – studying for a Diploma in Agriculture Level 3.
To apply for the Bursary Award please download an application form or call the Society Office on 01308 423337. The closing date for applicants is 1st July 2018. Financial support will be extended throughout the successful student’s course, provided that he/she receives a satisfactory annual report from his/her college or university.
Those eligible to apply must live within a 12 mile radius of Melplash. Please click here to download an application form. Completed forms should be returned to the Society Offices at 23 South Street, Bridport, Dorset DT6 3NT.
Those candidates shortlisted will then be required to provide scholastic and personal references and will be interviewed in early Summer so that finance can be in place for the next academic year. The successful candidate is presented with the Bursary Award at the annual Melplash Agricultural Society Show.
Financial support is also available from Dorset Community Foundation. Dorset Community Foundation, through its Education Fund supports Dorset residents between the ages of 16-21 through bursaries of up to £1,000. The applicants must be in looking to start or continue their education, apprenticeship and/or training. They will also need to fulfil certain eligibility criteria. Students must apply directly to the student finance department at the college or through their apprenticeship provider. For more details please visit www.dorsetcommunityfoundation.org